If you would like to set up a photography session, or have any questions, contact me via email: betsy@betsyjophotography.com. Thank you!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Surprise: to astonish; amaze

This past weekend was a very busy, joyful, surprising one. The story:

About a month ago, my Ryan family had made plans to go out to dinner with just us sisters, our husbands, and my mom and dad- no kiddos. First of all, I should explain that we don't do this as often as we would like, as it is hard for all of our schedules to match up with those of my parents. So we planned it far in advance. I was really looking forward to it, and was glad we could 'all' get together (with the exception of my oldest sister and her family, who live in Illinois).

Well, Friday night, Paul and I were walking into J Restaurant together and looking for my family at the table. When I saw them all, I noticed that my sister Katie had her camera primed and ready, pointing at us. I was quite confused, and then I did a double take, realizing that I had just looked away from my oldest sister, Melinda, who was supposed to be 1,000 miles away in IL! My Dad had planned for them to come out and surprise my Mom (which is quite a difficult feat, I should say). It was so great to have all 5 of us girls at the same table with our husbands and parents- lots of laughter, chatter, and "deep" discussions :) ensued!

If you keep up with the comments section on this photo journal, you may have seen lots of little hints from 'Minna' wondering when I would take her family pictures. I kept telling her to just come out already, and I'd be happy to do a portrait session when they arrived. Well, she finally listened!

We had a short amount of time, but we got together on Saturday for a quick shoot in downtown Rockville. We got some great pictures. I'm so glad to have some current images of them, so I can display them for when I miss my little Carter and Kerigan. (Oh, and Dan and Melinda, too, of course!) I mean, do you blame me for missing them when they're so terribly cute?! Would you be able to resist those eyes, either? I know I'm biased, but really...

See what I mean?-

Melinda loves black and white processing, so I did plenty-
















I made Dan pull a weed out of his mouth to get this shot. Ya' know, you can take the boy off the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the boy...

Watch out, model search...



So typical of these 2:










Man, I wish this little guy lived a lot closer...

Who can resist a little girl with chocolate?



"Try to look at everything through the eyes of a child."
-Ruth Draper, American dramatist
(1884-1956)

9 comments:

  1. I am going to cry! Actually I am already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's okay, I cried too after I left from saying goodbye... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE your photography!!!! It is the best! I have never really seen Melinda's kids before and they are adorable! They are sooo cute! And I love Kerigan's curly hair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. I can't believe they're gone already. I miss those little guys (D&M too!)

    Too cute! Good Job Betz. I'm sure Minna loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know. Why does it always go by so fast...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I think I'm like you biggest (sorda family) fan :-) I seem to be drawn here daily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really think those are the cutest kids I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betsy
    I absolutely adore these pictures. I am picturing the collage and what wall i want them on right now. They are seriously the best we have ever had taken. I have a few friends here in IL that are wondering when you are coming out, they want to hire your services!!
    I love you much and Thanks again so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betsy,
    We loved seeing these pictures! They are so cute! Their personalities are just as super too! We love them bunches(I'm waiting for them to come to our house today as I type this) I really thought the pictures of D & M were especially natural & really great! Keep up the good work!

    Tami & Ashley Bahler

    ReplyDelete