If you would like to set up a photography session, or have any questions, contact me via email: betsy@betsyjophotography.com. Thank you!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Patient: (adj.) quietly and steadily persevering or diligent, esp. in detail or exactness

I want to share a great photo that our friend Eric Virkler shot while on one of his fabulous trips out West. I have to say that after reading how he captured this shot, I realized we may both be photographers, but we couldn't be more different in our approach. Here's what he told me about getting this image:

"This photo was taken last September in Hayden Valley of Yellowstone National Park. I followed this coyote nearly a mile as it hunted alongside the Yellowstone River. 1/1500s, F/5.6, 400mm, ISO 400." (Yes, you read that right- 400mm!)

I know from seeing other images of Eric's, that he'll wait hours (HOURS!) to get exactly what he's looking for, watching in complete stillness. Paul and I had to laugh at the thought of me doing that. Can you imagine me waiting hours in silence for anything?! I love people and the fleeting emotions that pass across a person's face. I put my camera in high continuous mode as to be able to capture 6.5 frames per second, because one little look can last for a fraction in time. On the other end of the spectrum, Eric will get up before dawn(!), to wait hours for a perfect reflection on water. He'll gladly follow an animal for a mile to get what he's looking for. I wish I had a fraction of that patient diligence. Which, of course, is why Eric captures nature and I capture people.

Eric recently added a photo blog on his website, so be sure to check it out here. He'll sometimes share the story behind some of his shots and his musings on photography in general. Prints are available for purchase on his site. He has some beautiful galleries there. And for the photographers out there, he's gracious enough to add his details and specs about some of his images.

So here's the coyote he followed in Yellowstone:


"The two most powerful warriors are patience & time."
-Leo Tolstoy, Russian philosopher, author. (1828-1910)
ct photographer, photographer,, ct wedding photographer, wedding photography,

No comments:

Post a Comment